Saturday, January 15, 2011

Yamaha Motif XF Review

This is a very subjective review of Yamaha Motif XF from a sound designer/synthesist view.

Normally all my work is done using s DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) meaning a PC and some various software with endless possibilities. So how exciting is a hardware workstation for a person like me, in this case Motif XF, well let me put it this way, i feel like i've been pushed back 20 years in time. They call it a Music Production Synthesizer but the is not a shred of synthesis in this thing. Motif XF is a huge sample player, thats it. It has a very limited synth section, in short it has 1 VCF 1 VCA and 1 LFO which equals to a tad better than a Sound Font player.

When used as a preset player for live situations, then it shines with its 4 assignable effects and many on the fly knobs to use in VOICE mode.

When used as a sequencer it is crippled by the fact that you can only use insert effects on 8 out of 16 channels. I bet if you planned to sequence a song using 16 very nice sounding VOICE presets then you will be dissapointed to know that only 8 of these preset will include the insert fx like they are supposed to and the rest must live without the insertion effects. This is very annoying. So i tend to call the seuqence an 8 channel sequencer.

A look into the stock samples in the synth section reveals lack of many things, first of all in total there are ONLY 3 modulated stereo waveforms for use in broad pads, the mono noise sample is so short that you can hear the loop unless you plan to use it for a closed hihat. The synthetic bell waveforms are very thin and many waveforms are pretty useless as building blocks, however the P5 waveforms are clearly ment for serious sound design, each of these waveforms are phase locked and precise over the entire keyboard range. These are the waveforms you should use to create other waveforms, eg mix the 0 Degree Saw with a 180 Degree Saw and you get a pulse waveform. Thats how most samples should work in the synth section, but only a few do it. There is a complete lack of smart additive waveforms, harmonics you use to create physical model instruments. Sure you could use a sine wave to build up the harmonics but then it would eat away polyphony which we always try to preserve.

The handling of actual NEW waveforms are a nightmare from a sound designers view, you cant save individual waveforms but have to save the whole lot, which also means whenever you need to load a waveform then you have to import all again. In this case the machine adds the loaded waveforms to the existing waveforms so you end up with tons of duplicates in Flash Memory.
Anyways, you will need some kind of software to handle this proper.

The Arpeggio functions, yeah its super great when working in VOICE mode but when working in SONG and PATTERN mode the ARP settings will reset, so you have to find the original arp setting by browsing 7000 arps on each arp'ed preset. Dohhh

As you can guess, I am not super thrilled about Motif XF but I am a stubborn type of guy with a mission, the mission is simple, to improve Motif XF. I will start by making some of the sound designer samples which are missing and to make a point i will make these samples take ONLY 1 MB of the 128 MB free assignable ram in Motif XF.

177 KB is reserved for a useful 2 second NOISE sample. This gives me 823 KB to play with.

Wish me good luck ;)

/Michael

6 comments:

Tronam said...

It probably goes without saying that keyboard workstations like the Motif XF aren't generally built with sound designers in mind. I suspect that most people use them for rough arranging or as a song scratchpad, not to mention stage performance. Unless you have a very clear, preconceived song idea burned in your mind before beginning a project, sound design and music composition are generally two activities that a lot of people prefer to do at separate times. When musical inspiration strikes, I generally try to avoid sound design altogether, outside of minor tweaks, otherwise I can easily get so sidetracked that I will have lost my horizontal train of thought (I like to think of sound design, track layering etc.. as vertical and composition as horizontal). Usually I just go to my piano and unplug completely so that I can focus exclusively on the musical ideas. I am guessing that a lot of composers view keyboards like the Motif in the very same way; immediate sounds for when inspiration hits.

Michael Kastrup said...

Hi Tronam, i agree with your comments :) Thats why i also mention that my review is VERY subjective and only seen from the sound designer point of view. Korg Kronos would probably suit my taste better. Anyways i will still do the 1 MB sampleset to make a point about what to include of material when a NEW Motif is released. The step from Motif XS to XF took Yamaha 4 years and only gave a minimal upgrade compared to time spent on development.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Michael! Its always good to hear technical detailed reviews of products.
So tell me, what instruments (hardware/software) do you use and which are your favorite? (If u have answered this somewhere before please just leave a link) Thanx!
...i@n

Michael Kastrup said...

Best value for money are:

Hardware = Waldorf Blofeld
Software = U-he Zebra VST

Best CPU usage and Features for money:

Zebra VST, Dune VST, Helix VST

Alround best free software free:

Synth1 VST

Alround best Hardware:

Access Virus TI2 Desktop

Best performer synth/sampler:

Clavia Nord Wave

Best workstation:

Yamaha Motif XF

Old hardware to look for:

Yamaha An1x
Novation Supernova 2
Roland MKS 50
Roland JD-990
Roland D-550
Roland Juno 6/60

My Favorite atm:

Software : Zebra VST
Hardware : Nord Wave

Zebra because it can produce just about any sound i can imagine.

Nord Wave because it just sound and feels like an old analog synth.

/Michael

Anonymous said...

XF is a BEAST as a stage board for performers and incredible sound bank for producers. Sequencer is great for arranging and sketching. If you have the firewire card you can sketch something in minutes then migrate a carbon copy to Cubase via firewire with a few clicks. Amazing. 8 tracks is more than enough for a decent pop arrangement. 8 insert effects is actually overkill imo.

Zentrails said...

Hi I recently got an XF as a workstation specifically because I haven't liked any samplers I've used in the past

For composing I've always use my RealPiano2/RP-X combo or my Yamaha CP300 using a DAW program in conjunction with the XF to provide a starting point bass lines, percussion, etc. Works quite well, actually.
Once I have a song roughed out, then it's an easy matter to work on the perfect sound for each part using outboard equipment.

I only use hardware controlled by a JL Cooper Synapse, don't like any of the softsynths out there so far.

I get my best sounds from an EX5, Motif ES6 fully loaded with PLGs, an SY77 hotrodded with the German ROM set, Kawai 5000, Ensoniq Fizmo. and a PC2 ROMpler. A lot of these have digital outs so I can avoid aD/A step and mix directly in digital.

I agree that the EX5 > motif ES > motif XF give you less and less synthesis power, which is obviously the plan by Yamaha. I guess they want us to buy and keep all three, as I did, good marketing. LOL

I began writing before the computer or digital age using analog instruments and a TEAC 3340S with no effects except tape delay and recording in the bathroom.

I wouldn't go back to those day for any amount of money.